Säynätsalo Town hall was opened in 1952. The building and its use have followed the history of the locality. Originally, the administrative centre of this small municipality contained an extremely varied collection of functions from bank to library, plus a number of homes.
In 1993, through the intercession of a substantial majority of local residents, the municipality of Säynätsalo became part of the City of Jyväskylä. The town hall became the centre of one area of the City and the building was renovated in various ways, including the re-instatement of some of the administrative areas as residential space, to coincide with the centenary of Aalto’s birth in 1998.