In 1954-1955 Alvar Aalto designed a studio building in the Munkkiniemi district of Helsinki, in order to ease the space problems in his office. At that time the office was located in the nearby house he had designed for himself and built in 1936. The need for space increased when Aalto’s office received commissions for a number of public buildings in the early 1950s.
Alvar Aalto remained at the head of his architectural practice until his death in 1976. From then on, the practice was continued under the leadership of his widow, the architect Elissa Aalto, until 1994, when custodianship of the building was transferred to the Alvar Aalto Foundation. Today, the building houses the offices of the Alvar Aalto Foundation, the Alvar Aalto Museum Architectural Heritage Department and the Alvar Aalto Academy.